Embracing meditation doesn’t require a complete lifestyle overhaul; it can be seamlessly integrated into your daily routines. Here’s some guidelines to get you started:
1. Sincerity, dedication and regularity:
- Regular practice is key to reaping the benefits of meditation. Aim for daily sessions to experience lasting results.
- Sincerity and dedication without expecting anything to happen is also important.
2. Clean and quiet place: Find a tranquil environment free from distractions where you can practice meditation comfortably.
3. Comfortable Posture: Wear light clothing. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position. Keep your spine straight to maintain alertness.
4. Practise meditation: Early in the morning or in the evening.
5. Start Small: Set a realistic target in terms of duration. Begin with short sessions and gradually increase the duration as you become more comfortable with the practice. You cannot just wake up one day, and decide to sit for a full hour meditation.
6. Be aware of the state of your body. If you are sleepy and the body is tired, there is no point getting up at 4am, and sleeping in a sitting position.
7. Preparation of body and mind through asanas and pranayama are required. Asanas prepare you to sit in meditation postures, and together with pranayama, they give a full body-mind relaxation. Relaxation is key to developing a meditation practice.
8. Be Patient: Don’t be discouraged by a busy mind or distractions during meditation. The practice is about returning to the present moment with kindness and patience.